Monday, November 22, 2010

Counting my blessings




Today everything outside is covered in a blanket of new snow. I'm feeling very blessed to be in a warm house. As I studied the pioneer women a few years ago, I realized that a warm house was a novelty for them. How we take things for granted!

Eliza R Snow recounted the night of a torrential rainstorm in the Salt Lake Valley. The thatched roof over her head began to dissolve. Wet globs of mud mixed with straw were falling all around her. Along with the mud came the mice who had been nesting in the thatch. All Eliza could do was sit on her bed holding her umbrella over her head until morning!


She may not look like it here, but she had a great sense of humor!









2 comments:

  1. so, you are pretty grateful that you don't have mice raining down on your head? that is really disgusting. way to make me thankful for something i didn't even know to be thankful for. happy thanksgiving! (ps - i was disappointed when i didn't see you at L.R. airport today. i looked for you just in case)
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been extremely grateful for a warm house too. Andrew and I were watching the cold snow blow everywhere and we were so happy to be inside that I told him he could stay home from school. Warmth over education.

    ReplyDelete