Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Ems' Golden Birthday


Dearest Ems,

I can’t believe my youngest child is really twenty-seven. It seems as though twas weeks ago that you just turned eleven.

I do remember, oh so well, that Thursday of your birth

One day late, but things turned out great that day you came to Earth


At first, you see, it was just we three – you, your father and mother

Then welcomed here by sisters dear and two quite rowdy brothers.


You’d not much hair, and gathered there were grandparents to view

An added plus, you didn’t fuss, just slept the whole day through


I’d learned by then, time and again, that babies grow up so fast.

I cuddled you and wondered, too, if you would be my last


At four and a half, you made us laugh, as often times you did

Saying you “used to be a baby . . . and then you turned a kid”


As a rule, you did well in school, your teachers would praise away

That you were bright and mostly polite, a pleasure to teach they’d say

As questions were asked, you were right on task, but became a little riled

You’d be ready to burst, and thought it the worst, if they called on another child!


True to stock, you love to talk, and chattering you would do

You also started growing and you grew and grew and grew.


Involved in sports, and a leader of sorts, you were busy as you could be

I barely survived until you could drive, which finally set me free.


Then off you’d go with friends in tow, you were always in a hurry

But you set your sight on doing what’s right, so we never had to worry


Through high school days, your college faze, your mission - for ‘goodness’ sake

Then you bought a house, and sought a spouse, you finally found your Jake.


So on this day, I need to say, I really felt beholden

A special rhyme, comes only one time, and that’s because it’s Golden!


Happy Birthday!!!

love, Mom

2 comments:

  1. I got kind of teary eyed reading that...they grow up so fast! What an awesome mom for writing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, i too felt a little emotional reading that. i always say i wish i could peek in on your life when you were in my shoes - so that was really fun. and weird that your baby is 27!! sooooo big! and what's even weirder is i think you were about my age when you had emily.

    ReplyDelete